Corned Beef and Cabbage
10 lb Corned Beef
5 Gallon Pot
3 heads of green cabbage
2 large turnips (peeled)
9 carrots (peeled)
3 beets with greens removed
5 white potatoes (unpeeled)
5 red potatoes (unpeeled)
1. Place corned beef in pot and add enough cold water to cover.
2. Bring to a boil uncovered.
3. Immediately remove from heat.
4. Remove beef to platter & rinse pot.
5. Return beef to pot and add cold water to cover.
6. Bring to a boil uncovered.
7. Turn down heat until meat gently simmers.
8. Discard outer leaves of cabbage, cut into 8 pieces, discard core and add cabbage to pot.
9. Cut each turnip in half and each half into 4 to 6 equal pieces and add to pot.
10. Add additional hot water if necessary to keep every thing covered.
11. Simmer 4 to 5 hours.
12. Place beets in separate pot and cover by 2 inches of cold water.
13. Vigorously boil covered for about 45 minutes or until beets are tender.
14. Drain and soak in cold water for 20 minutes.
15. Peel beets, cut into 2 inch wedges, add 2 oz. unsalted butter and season.
16. Wash potatoes in cold water. Do not peel. Place in separate large pot and cover with 2 inches of cold water.
17. Bring to a boil partially covered and simmer at moderate heat until skins burst and potatoes are tender.
18. Drain and put potatoes in serving bowl with 2 oz. unsalted butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
19. Remove corned beef from cooking pot to large serving platter. Loosely tent with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
20. Carve across grain into 1/8 inch slices.
21. Drain carrots, cabbage and turnips into a large serving bowl and top with 1 cup of cooking liquid.
22. Serve with your favorite mustard and plenty of Irish soda bread.